The Foundation


The Auditorium Parco della Musica represents a sophisticated music architecture and an extraordinary urban improvement work.

Its history started in 1993 when the City of Rome published a new international call of tender to find “home” to the Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia who was left without its original headquarter: in 1935 Mussolini demolished the old Augusteo built on the Mausoleum of Augustus. The City of Rome provides a public area located between the Olympic Village and the Flaminio Stadium, a completely run-down and abandoned area just few kilometres from the city centre along via Flaminia. The aim was to fill a gap, an urban rift: “transforming the suburbs or those places forgotten by the city development in urban areas can be achieved by giving these gaps collective and gathering functions….” (Renzo Piano).

On July 27th 1994 Renzo Piano and Renzo Piano Building Workshop won the project. On January 15th 1995 the project was delivered to the City of Rome. Constructions were interrupted in November because they found the rests of an ancient Roman villa. This meant to reconsider the project, presented again in 1996, when they decided to fully integrate them in the conceived complex. Construction works started again. In winter 1998 the construction of one of the parking lots finished, but some issues regarding the winning companies of the first call of tender arouse. The City of Rome, between 1999 and 2000, was forced to issue some administrative acts aiming at assigning constructions to new and more expert companies, who moved forward more quickly and efficiently. In July 1999 the City of Rome founded the Auditorium management company, MpR S.p.A., and in 2004 it also took in the administrative, organization, planning and cultural production roles.

On April 21st 2002 Petrassi and Sinopoli Halls were inaugurated. The opening ofSanta Cecilia Hall took place on December 21st 2002. The first months of 2003 the complex was finished and it started to run at full speed.